If you’re in the market to buy a home, visiting open houses and home showings can be as exciting as it is overwhelming. Indeed, as you wander through homes, you may be able to get an initial sense of things you like and things you don’t, but you may not have a strong idea of what to look for that could be problematic. And in today’s competitive real estate market, you may only get one look before you’re asked to make an offer!
As you tour your home, talk to your realtor about things to pay attention to. Some things to look for when viewing a property for the first time include the following—
Things to Look at When Seeing a Home for the First Time
The first time you see a home, be sure to pay attention to all of the following:
- Floors. Of course you want to look for the quality of floor materials, but there’s another reason to pay attention to the floors: signs of leaks or plumbing issues. If you notice any sagging or discoloration, this could be an indication of a problem.
- Walls. Take time to thoroughly scan the walls. If you notice any cracks or discoloration, this could be a sign of anything from water damage to structural problems.
- Foundation. The foundation of the home is one of the most important things to look at. Similar to the walls, search for cracks. Cracks in the foundation are probably a sure sign of foundational issues.
- Windows. We recommend testing all of the windows to see how they open and close. While replacing windows that don’t open, close, or lock properly isn’t necessarily a deal-breaker when buying a home, it is an additional expense to keep in mind.
- Potential water damage. As a home buyer, water damage is the number one thing you want to look out for. Eyeball plumbing and pay attention to any discoloration on the walls or floors, signs of sagging or bulging, or cracks. Also, ask the seller about water damage.
How a Skilled Indiana Realtor Can Help
As you walk through homes and think about putting in an offer, there’s a lot of comfort in having a skilled Indiana realtor on your side who can answer questions and advocate for your interests. At The Jana Caudill Team, we’ll be by your side every step of the way, from helping you to find the perfect home to negotiating your contract and more. To learn more, reach out to us directly today. We look forward to working with you.